Posted to rec.food.equipment
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven?

wrote:

> I will be a college student soon
>
> That means moving furnishings back forth between home
> and apartment at school
>
> I will be an adult college student so living alone in
> apartment... NOT in dorm
>
> Should I shun buying a bigger heaver more expensive
> combo convection microwave over say a cheap reg
> microwave and toaster oven?
>
> Will the two cheaper units (toaster oven, reg
> microwave)..... do everything a combo oven will do?
>
> You see the combo ovens are bulkier and heavier as
> well...so don't want to have to haul that around if
> possible
>
> Advice?

I've owned exactly two micro/convection ovens since 1981. One finally
bit the dust and I immediately bought another just like it. I wouldn't
be without mine, much more versatile than a plain microwave and more
efficient than a toaster oven.

The cook book that came with mine has many interesting things you can do
plus they cook with both microwave and convection on many things. If
you're going to be cooking in it you can do more recipes than you can
with either a microwave or a toaster oven. If you just want to make
instant coffee, instant soup, reheat cold pizza, and things like that
just get a microwave. If you want to cook full meals you can do that
with the combo micro/convection with ease.

As an aside, both of mine have been Sharp carrousel units and I've been
very pleased with them. They aren't cheap but they are sturdy and do a
good job.

George