Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy2 Nancy2 is offline

Default How to make small cake rollups.

sf wrote:
> On 22 Jun 2006 06:35:35 -0700, Norman Leonski wrote:
> >
> > Nancy2 wrote:

> > > Just find a recipe for jelly roll .... you can make them any size you
> > > like - easy to make a jelly-roll pan size (wow, there's that name
> > > again!) and cut them into 4-6 jellyrolls for further slicing.
> > >
> > > N.

> > So you tell me they are called "Jelly-Rolls" and you offer no links to
> > recipes, no recipes of your own.
> >
> > Just a wise-crack "(wow, there's that name again!)".
> >
> > Thanks for almost nothing. If you have nothing to say but a wise-crack,
> > why not just keep quiet? Or do you just like to see your name in print?

> That wasn't a wise crack in any way, shape or form. It was useful
> information, if you knew what to do with it. You'd make more headway
> here if you googled for a recipe and asked for further instructions
> about how to make mini-jellyrolls instead of blubbering about the lack
> of a recipe.
>
> I want to know if the cake is cut horizontally before rolling because
> it seems like a mini would be too thick w/o doing that first.
> --

I dunno - I've never made a "mini" (I'm assuming he means something
like a HoHo, only with a vanilla sponge cake and jelly) - I would think
the cake itself would have to be substantially thinner - like half the
thickness of a regular jelly roll - experimentation is never a bad
thing with sweets. ;-) I'd probably cut the recipe in half and see
what I thought about spreading it in a 10" x 15" pan - if it didn't
look like enough batter, I'd move down to a 9 x 13 loaf pan. The
baking time would obviously have to be decreased - maybe by half, at
least - if using half the batter in the big pan. If you experiment,
call me, I'll eat the rejects ;-)

N.