Posted to rec.food.baking
Kent Kent is offline

Default Starter - Biga Recipes?

I have been using a starter routinely when baking, especially for pizza and
focaccia. I make a batch of starter, by using a very small amount of yeast
per flour, and letting it rise all day, until the rising starter falls back
on itself. I then continue on with dough preparation using a portion of
starter in the final dough.
Does anyone have a great starter recipe, or starter ideas the rest of us
haven't thought of? What's the longest you have let it sit in the frig, and
then successfully used it in the bread following? After what time does the
starter have an adverse effect on what you are baking? Can you use the same
ratio of water/flour in the starter as in the final dough? This makes life
much easier when you take something unlabeled out of the frig. Does anyone
add salt to their starter? I don't. I suppose it wouldn't do anything other
than slow starter fermentation.
What has worked, and what hasnn't? Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Kent