Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rich[_1_] Rich[_1_] is offline

Default Chili question (Or maybe it should be chile question)

I was looking at the recipe for last year's winning recipe at the
International Chili Society's World Championship Chili Cookoff, and there
are a couple of ingredients I don't understand.

"1 tablespoon hot chile powder
1 tablespoon mild chile power
5 tablespoons red chile powder"

It's not at all clear to me what these three ingredients are. I buy my
spices at Penzey's or at the local supermarket, and neither has products
that are described as above. I presume that they are pure ground chiles, but
which varieties of chiles? Any guesses?

Also, does anybody know what ingredients are in Gebhardt® chile powder? I
prefer to mix my own spices rather than use a premixed product. (The chili
champion would probably rather do that, too, but when cooking in competition
it's always a good idea to use the products of the contest sponsors.)

Thanks for your help.

I'm going to try this recipe as close to exactly as possible. The only
changes I'll make intentionally are mixing my own Gebhardt®, if possible,
and the substitution of homemade broths for the canned stuff called for in
the recipe.

-- Rich