Posted to alt.food.wine
Mat[_2_] Mat[_2_] is offline

Default Hunter Valley tourism - getting around the vineyards

Salil wrote:
> No plans on staying in the Hunter, as I've already got accommodation in
> Sydney for my stay in NSW.
>
> Have gone for a day tour by bus with Wine Boutique Tours, which is
> supposed to fit in 4-5 wineries (most of which can be decided on an ad
> hoc basis on the day itself).
>
> I'm keen on seeing McWilliams' Mount Pleasant and I've heard a lot of
> good noises about Robin Drayton and Tyrrell's - any comments on these
> from people who've been there, or any other suggestions?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Salil

My advice is always to try to get your hands on a copy of "Australian
Wine Companion" by James Halliday. The 2006 is current, but I think the
2007 should be coming out sometime soonish.

5957 wines rated, 2001 winery profiles.

It goes for about $25AU at most good bookstores.

McWilliams Mount Pleasant 5 stars: www.mcwilliams.com.au

Robin Drayton not mentioned, Drayton's Family Wines is, 3 stars.
www.draytonswines.com.au

Tyrells' 5 stars, www.tyrrells.com.au

Lower Hunter Valley he rates as some of the best:
Brokenwood
Capercaillie
Chateau Pato
Chatto Wines
Keith Tullcoh Wine
Lake's Folly
McWilliam's Mount Pleasant
Tower Estate
Tyrrell's

There's a whole list of almost all of the wineries in the back of the book.