Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Rick Chappell[_1_] Rick Chappell[_1_] is offline

Default One 6-minute steep vs two 3-minute steeps

DogMa > wrote:

> In general, non-aqueous solvent extractions of plant materials will
> produce a very different product.

Hello, Dogma, thanks for the education. I look forward to seeing
a demonstration of tea brewed with dimethyl sulfoxide or hydrogen
fluoride. But for the latter, what pot? A teflon gaiwan?

I restrict my tea-related solvents to water. Given that admittedly
harsh limitation, what can be done? For one thing, water's ionic
properties can be altered with dissolved solids, right? Remember
that Lu" Yu, in his _Classic of Tea_, condemns those who add spices,
butter, and onions to tea as barbarians but demands that we add salt.
No hint of how much though. Because it is added during "the first
stage of boiling", and water drawn from the kettle during the second
stage, it will raise the temperature of the brew. I'll let Dogma do
the calculation of how much - my Handbook of Chemistry and Physics is
gone.

Best,

Rick.