Posted to rec.food.cooking
sd sd is offline

Default Dishwashing liquid (environmental)

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> Save your money. According to every consumer-oriented thing I've read over
> the past 10-15 years, "green" products are often no better than what's in
> the stores.

I will agree that there are "green" products which don't perform
significantly better than "regular" products -- just as there are
cheapo "regular" products which don't come near the performance of
the best of their kind.

But there are reasons to buy "green" products beyond their actual
performance (once that performance meets one's own standards) --
like toxicity (maybe not a concern with dish detergent, but for
other products); sustainability; the way the company is run; etc.
That "green" products often seem to cost more than "regular"
products is an accident of accounting.

As for the OP's question, I have not used any of the brands on the
linked Web site. I do, however, use Restore the Earth's dish liquid
(<http://www.restoreproducts.com/dish_detergent.html>) and Seventh
Generation's dishwasher powder
(<http://www.seventhgeneration.com/our_products/dishwashing.php>)
and have been quite happy with them.

From the Web site linked by the OP:
>If you want to avoid phosphates, choose a phosphate-free detergent,

but remember to rinse your dirty dishes right away.

Huh? I never have to do that with the Seventh Generation powder and
my dishwasher (ASKO). Pre-rinsing removes a chunk of the
environmental benefit to using a "green" detergent, I would think.

sd