Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Dishwashing liquid (environmental)

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> >
> > Does anyone use any of these products?
> >
> > http://www.greenhome.com/products/ho...ish_detergent/
> >
> > I have to wash my milk jar once a week in a environmental dishwashing
> > soap, whether it be dishwasher or dish pan. Does anyone have any
> > suggestions of any that might be in a regular grocery store that you have
> > used?
> > thanks so much.
> > Dee Dee

> I'm not sure what a milk jar is, or who says you have to wash it any
> particular way. But, no matter. Dish liquids - the kind you use for washing
> by hand, are pretty much all phosphate free and biodegradable (two SEPARATE
> issues). Take a look at Dawn "original", if you want a product that's tough
> enough to clean ancient oil crud off a car engine, and has no stupid
> perfumes or ingredients to make your hands softer. The label says "no
> phosphates, contains biodegradable surfactants".
>
> I don't use liquids in my dishwasher - I use tablets, so I can't advise you
> on that. You'll have to read some labels. But, while it WAS very important
> years ago to cut back on the use of phosphate-laden products in homes,
> that's pretty much happened because so many laundry products are free of the
> chemical now. What's left is very minor by comparison.
>
> Save your money. According to every consumer-oriented thing I've read over
> the past 10-15 years, "green" products are often no better than what's in
> the stores.

You can also cut way down on the volume of home cleaning products used
by installing a water softener... the savings on cleaning products will
more than pay for the water softener twice over... not to mention time
and effort saved from not having to do so much scrubbing of soap scum
and mineral deposits. I use tablets in my dishwasher too, but I cut
them in half... I use half the laundry soap too.. even shapoo goes more
than twice as far. I don't use bar soap, I prefer soft-soap/bath
gel... bar soap is wasteful. You gals will love showering with
softened water and bath gel... your skin will feel so slippery you
won't be able to stop touching yourself! LOL

Sheldon