Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dishwashing liquid (environmental)

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> Does anyone use any of these products?
>
> http://www.greenhome.com/products/ho...ish_detergent/
>
> I have to wash my milk jar once a week in a environmental dishwashing
> soap, whether it be dishwasher or dish pan. Does anyone have any
> suggestions of any that might be in a regular grocery store that you have
> used?
> thanks so much.
> Dee Dee

I'm not sure what a milk jar is, or who says you have to wash it any
particular way. But, no matter. Dish liquids - the kind you use for washing
by hand, are pretty much all phosphate free and biodegradable (two SEPARATE
issues). Take a look at Dawn "original", if you want a product that's tough
enough to clean ancient oil crud off a car engine, and has no stupid
perfumes or ingredients to make your hands softer. The label says "no
phosphates, contains biodegradable surfactants".

I don't use liquids in my dishwasher - I use tablets, so I can't advise you
on that. You'll have to read some labels. But, while it WAS very important
years ago to cut back on the use of phosphate-laden products in homes,
that's pretty much happened because so many laundry products are free of the
chemical now. What's left is very minor by comparison.

Save your money. According to every consumer-oriented thing I've read over
the past 10-15 years, "green" products are often no better than what's in
the stores.