Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Problem with my apple pie

Dee Randall wrote:

> Did I miss it, or was there a discussion about your pie crust; the one you
> used for this pie? I'm interested in your crust,too.
>
> I never made a good crust until I recently made a good one, which I probably
> discussed ad infinitum here on this ng.

I don't understand why so many people have troubles with pie crusts. I have seen
lots of recipes for pastry dough posted here, but I have good luck with the
Crisco recipe. It always works. Sometimes it is not quite as good as other
times, but even those are better than many peoples best.
There are just a few things to remember, the most important being not to work it
too much. Cut the shortening into the flour only until the pieces are a little
less than pea size, then add the egg/ water/ vinegar and stir until it forms a
ball. I cut the ball into two, roll each and then flatten them a bit and then
into the fridge for 1-15 minutes. Use lots of flour to prevent sticking and
roll the ball out evenly into a circle by starting in the middle and rolling
out, and keep rotating. The dough should roll into a nice circle. Try to do it
right the first time. The pastry will not be as good if you mess it up and have
to roll it out a second or third time.

I just took a rhubarb pie out of the oven. It could be the best one yet. The
pastry looks great. I have a problem with someone in the house who thinks she is
my assistant baker. I start pies at high temperature and then turn them down
after 15 minutes and cook for another 40-50 minutes. To be on the safe side, I
set the timer for 30 minutes and then check it, taking it out if it looks done
or leaving it in if it looks too pale. I usually find something to do until the
timer goes. If my wife is around, she takes the pie out when the timer goes. I
keep telling her golden brown, but any colour at all seems to suit her, so I
come along and find an undercooked pie. The pie crust is pretty resilient to
minor changes in cooking time, but fruit fillings with flour need time to cook.