Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mordechai Housman[_1_] Mordechai Housman[_1_] is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

>> I'm not much of a nectarine eater, though I like some types of plums,
>> and I like apricots a little, and I had forgotten that those fruits
>> have stone pits. Being form the city, I would see fruits only if I
>> actually bought them, or were near them in some large produce store
>> that also sold those fruits. Most of the time nectarines, plums and
>> apricots are not found in those stores. Peaches are more likely to be
>> found there.
>>
>> People from the country, on the other hand, or so I imagine
>> hopefully, are more likely to see the fruits on trees and in local
>> stores. Where I now live, there are more stores with such fruits and
>> fruit products than I was used to seeing in the "big city."
>>
>> Mordechai

> I have a surprise for you, Mordechai. Hardly anyone out here in the
> sticks knows what any fruit is except an apple, and that is mainly
> because Winchester, VA is the apple city and they have an apple
> festival and etc.
> If you gave them a test on whether a fruit was a nectarine, plum or
> apricot or peach, they may know the peach.
> There are individual farms around that sell produce in season, but
> they are definitely limited in what they grow.
> I do rely on buying produce that is not strictly potatoes, carrots,
> and onions in another larger city where there is an ethnic population.
> Dee Dee

Interesting. I don't have quite that same experience here, and where
I live is not truly country (at least not anymore -- but then again, you
can say that about ANY settled area), and I know only one farmer
personally -- and he lives here in Rockland County but has his farm in
upstate New York (right near the famous Woodstock, as it happens).

The stores here vary. The marge supermarket-type stores have the same
amount of variety that you would find in the average large supermarket
in New York City. Most will not have all that variety, except for
whatever exotic fruit or vegetable is in vogue at the moment.

But the smaller stores here have all sorts of brands, types, and even
fruits that I have never heard of. It can be quite fascinating
sometimes. But of course, it isn't alwayseasy finding these stores.
However, they are often listed on tourist maps of the area, and on the
internet.

> PS Mordechai is a first-name that is in my family in the late 1700's
> and early 1800's. You don't hear it much anymore; if at all.

I'm actually very into names, their meanings, their origins, and who
used them, and so forth.

I don't know your background, but I'm Orthodox-Jewish. Mordechai is a
common name among us, though not the most widely found. I know only one
Orthodox-Jewish Dee Dee, as far as I can recall, a niece of my sister's.
And that is actually her nickname, not her given name.

I have found though, that in the past decade or so, the name Mordecai
(without the h in the middle) has been used for several comic book
characters, though all of them evil! Or so I am told. The first known
usage of the name Mordechai (or Mordecai, in the English versions), as
you may know, was for a righteous person, in the Book of Esther. It's
from Aramaic, and means "fine myrrh." It is the Aramaic translation of a
phrase in the Jewish Bible. Fine myrrh was one of the eleven types of
incense that were used in the Tabernacle and the Holy Temple.

Might I ask what your background is, and that of your family in the 17
and 18 hundreds? I'm fascinated by this sort of historic information.
Where did they live?

Mordechai