Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie

Christine wrote:
<snip>
[Aside: DID YOU SEE WHAT I DID THERE? I SNIPPED ALL THAT PRECEDING CRAP
WHICH DOESN'T PERTAIN TO THIS POST! *YOU* SHOULD DO THAT TOO!]

> I dunno, what happened to America, the land of plenty? I can only repeat
> my sentiments in another post that I appreciate that I am truly fortunate
> to live in a big city where you can easily buy just about anything. But I
> would expect a comprehensive range of produce in any Australian city, and
> at least a reasonable range in a township big enough for a supermarket.
> Only in the extreme outback where transport costs are prohibitive would I
> understand the sort of deprivation you seem to have been used to.

Has Mordecai said where he lives? If he has, I don't remember seeing it. I
live in a fairly small town, but my local grocery store carries all manner
of fruits and vegetables.

Maybe he lives in an isolated community: Small towns pepper the USA; some of
them are a hundred miles or more from any major city. Grocery stores there
are usually small, and don't have the space to carry much in the way of
fresh fruits or vegetables.

(http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...denio&state=nv gives one example.)

If he lives near a major city (which is what I thought, based on his saying
he lives in an "almost-country-like area"), then he's just not looking in
the right places for produce. Or maybe he simply doesn't want to go into
town for groceries.

Bob