Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_2_] Nonnymus[_2_] is offline

Default Speaking of Baby Backs

Brian D. wrote:

> I'd rather pay for meat than bone, the smoked trimmings come
> in handy for other recipes (where's my sauerkraut??)
> Brian

Heh- you know how persnickety kids can be. Back when ours
were in grade school, Mrs. Nonnymus got the fever to make
some real home made stuff. We had a large stone crock, so
she first made kraut. It was incredible, and we saved a
bunch after about 4-5 meals of pork butt with mashed
potatoes, gravy and kraut. (The proper way to enjoy this is
to get a little bit of everything on your fork at one time)
She next made her own corned beef. When it was done,
Mrs. Nonnymus decided that it was time the kids enjoyed
Rubens as they were intended to be. She made home made rye
bread and also some of the best home made thousand island
dressing I ever ate. The grilled Reubens were served at
lunch and the only store-bought thing on them was a thick
slice of Swiss cheese and the butter.

The kids thought that the Reubens were so good that they
even went to the neighbors and told their friends. That
afternoon, poor Mrs. Nonnymus had to make up another batch
of Ruebens for about 6 neighbor kids. I think she converted
a whole neighborhood. <grin>

Nonnymus