Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mordechai Housman[_1_] Mordechai Housman[_1_] is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 May 2006 03:51:25 GMT, Mordechai Housman wrote:
>
>> I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the
>> way
>> my mother used to make it.
>>
>> It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
>> delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.
>>
>> My problem is with the filling. I use:
>>
>> Two or three fresh apples
>> Apple pie filling from a can
>> Sugar
>> Corn starch.
>>
>> What might I be doing wrong?
>>

> First of all, use ALL fresh apples. Use the tartest, freshest apples
> you can find.... if you can't find truely tart apples, sprinkle them
> with some lemon juice. THEN you counteract the tartness with sugar.
> When the juice of the apple hits the sugar during the baking process,
> you'll end up with LOTS of liquid.
>
> The usual complaint is that there is too much juice and people want to
> know how to thicken it up.

Naah. I can't help it, because I have been programmed that way by my
mother's baking and cooking. You know how men are about their mother's
cooking. (Looking this way and that way hastily...) Er, only my wife's
cooking could possibly surpass my mother's.