Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dr. Edward Warren Dr. Edward Warren is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie

My experience with pie dough is that over processing it produces a tough pie
crust. I usually add a little more shortening than is called for to make it
tender. I hand cut it with a pastry blender (it has 8 stiff curled wires
mounted on a handle). The shortening is cut in until much of it is fine,
but a substantial amount is the size of small peas. I use butter flavored
Crisco and keep it cold. It must be handled deftly and not overworked. It
is then kneaded 3 times and rolled out paper thin. The crust sometimes a 2
crust traditional, but occasionally woven strips. To prevent burining, I
have learned to prepare the edge and shove it all in toward the middle and
down into the pie plate rather than to have it out on the rim.
Sincerely yours,
Edward Warren

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dr. Edward Warren" > wrote:
>
> > Make this apple pie. It is wonderful. Use Granny Smith apples. The
> > tratness is important for excellent flavor. Do not use any canned

filling
> > (ever). Make the pie crust very thin and very flakey by cutting in the
> > shortening and leaving pea sized chunks. Keep all of the crust

ingredients