Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall Dee Randall is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Thu 25 May 2006 05:55:49a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
> Randall?
>
>>> I agree that lemon for taste is what is important. As far as coloring
>>> of the apples from spices, it would depend somewhat on how much you
>>> use. I personally like a very lightly spiced apple pie. For a deep 9"
>>> pie, I use scarcely 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a bit over a 1/4 teaspoon
>>> of ground coriander...no nutmeg. There is only a hint of color from
>>> the spices. Having said that, almost all light fruit will deepen
>>> somewhat in color when baked in a pie, regardless of spices.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

>> Filed for next pie:
>> scarce 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a bit over 1/4 teaspoon of ground
>> coriander. Only. No nutmeg.
>>
>> I like that, sometimes it seems that an apple pie is so full of that
>> standard spice taste that I feel like I'm eating just those spices and
>> no apples.

> I agree. My grandmother, in fact, maintained that apple pie really
> required no spices, just a bit of butter and sugar, and no thickeners. I
> suspect the apples of her day were fuller flavored. But I do recall her
> pies were wonderful. Apples do not have a strong flavor and too much
> spices simply covers it up. If I mix in some really tart apples, I even
> eliminate the lemon juice, although I do use it most of the time.
>
>> I think you said that you grind your own coriander. I think that is
>> what I'm going to do. Coriander has a certain fragrance and taste that
>> I love; the last ground coriander I bought (at a middle-eastern grocery)
>> didn't smell or taste like coriander at all!

> Yes, for that very reason I grind my own. The whole coriander will hold
> it's fresh taste quite a long time, and tastes and smells absolutely
> wonderful when fresh ground.
>
> I actually have two Braun coffee grinders (the cheap type with the
> spinning
> blade) that I use for grinding spices. One is reserved for sweet spices,
> the other for pungent spices. No amount of grinding rice and dry cleaning
> can eradicate all of the pungent spice aroma.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

I brought home my Krups that I'd used just briefly at f-i-l's, as my
grinders weren't grinding good enough (for me). Something I've never done
is run water in the cup of my grinder. For some reason I did -- what was
the matter with me? -- I tipped it up to dry and lots of water came running
out. Geez, do I have to buy another grinder now -- I've not tried it yet to
see if it works. If it doesn't, I think I'll be going Braun.

I agree that grinding rice doesn't take out the smell. The Krupps that I
was trying to clean had ground coffee sitting it in for months and smelled
pretty nasty, so I guess that's why I threw caution to the wind trying to
clean it and added water.

Do you consider coriander sweet or pungent. I think I would consider all
the spices I use (on a Works document, it prints out 82 of them - some are
ground, some are whole, tho) are pungent. Give me an example of what you
consider 'sweet.' If you please.
Thanks,
Dee Dee