Posted to rec.food.cooking
Old Mother Ashby Old Mother Ashby is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Mordechai Housman" > wrote in message
>
>> "Grettie" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>>> mordecai-
>>> i like to compare and combine elements of recipes i like. with apple
>>> cake , or pie, i like to mix apples-definitely granny smith with
>>> cortland, gala, winesap empire, macintosh. (for ANY fruit or vegetable
>>> "like the old days" find a farmers market in your town for LOCAL
>>> produce, IN SEASON . most fruits in supermarkets have been picked
>>> before ripe, frozen and shipped. they get mealy as they defrost. i
>>> had officially sworn off peaches, until i saw a man with a roadside
>>> stand selling fresh jersey peaches. i can only have them for a month
>>> each summer, but i make a cake or pie every week.)
>>> back to apples . following the instructions of rose levy's book (pie
>>> and pastry bible), i try to peel and cut 6 apples about an hour in
>>> advance, and mix with sugar, brown sugar (1/2 cup total), 1T lemon
>>> juice, some cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/4 t salt. i think the salt draws
>>> juice from the apples. let that sit and prepare crust or cake dough.
>>> drain fruit. put liquid into a pan over medium heat. add 2 T butter.
>>> keep swirling this until it thickens/carmelizes.meanwhile, mix 1T
>>> cornstarch into apples (or arrange apple slices on cake batter, no
>>> cornstarch . for cake, i scatter nuts over fruit).put fruit into crust.
>>> pour thickened juices over fruit and bake
>>> gret
>>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> As to where to buy the apples: at this time of the year ANY apples
>> ANYWHERE are not going to be fresh-picked, are they?
>>

> What month is it -- you know what I mean -- is it in Down Under? Are they
> fresher than ours?

I know what you mean. In the southern hemisphere the seasons are the
exact opposite to the northern hemisphere. So at the moment it's May,
which is late autumn and the apples are certainly fresh. And the pears
and the quinces. But the stone fruit's all long gone.

Christine