Posted to alt.food.sushi
Big McLargehuge Big McLargehuge is offline

Default Japan faces chopsticks crisis

On Wed, 24 May 2006 14:33:38 GMT, "Musashi" >
mumbled something like:

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>> "Personally, I think the wood chopsticks are the easiest to use. The
>> texture makes them easy to handle and they hold the food with less
>> pressure. "
>>
>> -- Yes, that's true. The article above even mentions it.
>>
>> "Plastic and metal take more balance and allow fewer means of
>> grasping; they make eating wet noodles almost impossible. "
>>
>> -- Nope - just takes practice. Most Viet. restaurants use plastic
>> (long Chinese) chopsticks and 99% of the people there are eating wet
>> noodles - pho. Helpful hint: stick yer face closer to the bowl!
>>

>> -- Anyway, re Ken's comments before - I've never gotten any negative
>> reaction from using my own chopsticks in Asian restaurants. Today I
>> was in a good Chinese buffet and the waitresses were talking to me
>> about my use of Korean steel chopsticks.
>> One of them was from Japan, the other from Taiwan. So I asked them if
>> it was considered rude for me to bring my own chopsticks. They told me
>> that it wasn't, just very unusual, since nobody does it in Japan or
>> Taiwan.
>>

>Rather than debating the issue of whether to bring your own chopsticks to a
>restaurant or not, perhaps we should simply remember the fact that in Japan
>eating sushi with your hands is perfectly traditional and acceptable.
>So much for the disposable chopsticks....unless you order an appetizer.
>
>Musashi

or sashimi.

and speaking of, anyone check out that etiquette blog thing that was
posted a few days ago? It was interesting but it that all true? I
guess I'm just a crude 'westerner' but it made me wonder.

Big.