Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall Dee Randall is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie

"Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message
> Lisa Ann wrote:
>
>>"sf" > wrote in message
>>news >>
>>>Apples are a fall crop, so apple pie is best made in the fall. Apples
>>>are getting old by now, so wait until the fall crop is in to make
>>>another pie. If you want a juicy pie, McIntosh is the traditional
>>>apple to use. You can also try Jonathan, Jonagold, Northern Spy or
>>>Paula Red.
>>>

>>Am I the only one who uses Granny Smith apples?
>>
>>Lisa Ann
>>

> Wouldn't use anything else. Golden Delicious are Ok for something like
> apple charlotte where you weant the filling to collapse, but grannies hold
> their shape, which I like in an apple pie.
>
> Christine

I've read that Granny's are good because they do hold their shape, but to
add 2-3 Golden Delicious to them. I like and use this combination, but will
use a couple of "anything apples" added to Granny's; Granny Smith's are
always available. I've never made many apple pies, so I'm certainly not
speaking from a lot of experience.

The last apple pie I made had a different taste, and I 'really' liked it;
not as harsh as nutmeg and allspice added to cinnamon. Instead, it called
for
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger