Posted to rec.food.cooking
Old Mother Ashby Old Mother Ashby is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie

Mordechai Housman wrote:

> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
>
>> wrote on 20 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking

>> way

>> For a "Mom Style" Apple Pie you gotta use granny smith apples. In
>> the 50's and 60's Granny's were the baking apple of choice.

> Thanks for the recipe! Now where in the world can I still get granny
> smith apples??? I wonder if Chile stopped shipping apples for some
> reason.
>
> By the way, why does apple pie, which I like sweet, call for lemon
> juice? Is it a contrast thing? Or is it some way that acids or
> whatever interact with each other to bring out the taste?

It's rather a long way to come, but granny smiths - which I always use
for apple pies - are so common in Australia that many (foolish) people
look askance at them, regarding them in the same light as they (equally
foolishly) do iceberg lettuce.

I never put lemon juice in my apple pies. Look, apple pie recipes are
like recipes for meatloaf - there's hundreds of them, and they're *all*
Ok. It's a matter of taste!

Christine