Posted to alt.food.barbecue
frohe frohe is offline

Default Traeger vs. Louisiana wood pellet grills

WhansaMi wrote:
> We would like to get a wood pellet grill, and are trying to decide
> between the Traeger Deluxe and the Louisiana Greenwood.
> Can anyone chime in on this? Any satisfied customers of either? Any
> people who wish they hadn't bought it/them?

I don't own neither nor plan to but here's my take anyways.

Either used as a grill means the meat bein cooked ain't gonna be over
the wood pellets long enough to take on much of the smoke flavor.
OTOH, either used as a smoker should allow plenty of time for the
smoke to do its thing. BUT...

The Traeger Deluxe only has 525 square inches of cookin space and at a
price of $1,129.00 that means you're payin $2.15/square inch of cookin
space. The Louisiana Greenwood has 408 square inches of cookin space
and at a price of $2,257.35 (your hubby's SS model) you're payin
$5.53/square inch of cookin space.

If your main intent is to grill, I would go with a good propane grill.
A Weber Genesis Silver A (525 square inches of cookin space)will run
you about $400. That's $0.76 per square inch.

If your main intent is to smoke, you can't go wrong with a Weber
Smokey Mountain Smoker. At 468 square inches of cookin space and
costin around $200, that's $0.43 per square inch of cookin space.

My conclusion - Buy the Weber Genesis Silver A and the Weber Smokey
Mountain Smoker. Total price for both = ~$600. That's a little over
half of what you'd pay for the Traeger Deluxe alone and about a fourth
of what you'd pay for the Louisiana Greenwood alone. You'll get just
as good (or better IMO) results.

Hope this helps.
--
-frohe