Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,misc.rural,alt.food.vegan,alt.food,alt.cooking-chat
Joseph Littleshoes[_1_] Joseph Littleshoes[_1_] is offline

Default What to consider? - gasoline

Jerry Avins wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>

>>Dutch wrote:
>>

>>>"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote

>>>No, not per se, but production of petroleum products exacts a hefty
>>>toll on animal populations.
>>>

>>I thought the oil in the ground was the remains of dead dinosaurs or
>>other animals?

> That's a fantasy of Sinclair Oil's. (Remember Dino the dinosaur?)
> Petroleum, like coal, seems to be of plant origin.
>
> Jerry

Im almost relieved, as i was typing the above i thought "this cant be
right" plant origin makes more sense. Unfortunately on an abstract
level plants are living things also and we just remove one item from a
diet that still exploits living things, apparently a design flaw.

Animal based oils i suppose are no longer used in the modern west except
for cooking. Though there was a time when whale oil played an important
part.

Even though i still think there are more important things to devout
oneself to than veganism or any of its variations, everyone makes there
own choices.

I can respect 'living lightly' even if i don't feel a particular need to
embrace the life style, "apres moi l'deluge."
---
JL