Frogleg

Default Stocking the spice cabinet..

On 5 Oct 2003 12:38:37 -0700, (Carnivore269)
wrote:

>Frogleg > wrote in message
>> On 4 Oct 2003 20:40:04 -0700,
(Carnivore269)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Things I cannot do without:
>> >
>> >Dried dill

>> has as much taste as grass, IMHO.

>Not the stuff I grow and dry myself.
>It's REALLY good in tuna salads!

I'm growing desperate for dill! The large pot where it used to freely
re-seed and grow up to 3 batches per season suddenly pooped out. This
spring I sowed seeds, and a few plants grew to 3" or so, and then
disappeared (cool, wet weather and probably not enough sun). One of my
favorite uses is Irish soda bread with (fresh) dill.

>> >Dried parsley leaf

>> not much more flavor, and parsley is winter-hardy in many areas. Well
>> worth growing. One of my favorites

>When I grow it here, the baby swallowtail butterflies eat it all. :-P
>I recognize the caterpillars and transfer them to the Anise. I don't
>use Anise, I just grow it for the baby butterflies. They still get my
>parsley if I don't keep up with them.

I had to thin my crop of swallowtail 'pillars a few weeks ago. Brought
a couple inside and they cocooned (cyrsallis'd). I got a huge plastic
jar (pretzels!) for them to emerge into, and then Isabel threatened,
so I put the crysallises (crysalli? Greek or Latin?) outside when I
left the house. Poor things. Just munch on a little parsley and all of
a sudden you wake up it's raining trees!

>I can get it fresh at the store, but sometimes the dry is convenient.
>The flavor is subtle, but you have to use a lot.
>
>I use it more for color actually.

"Color" from dried parsley?

>> >Dried Celery leaf

>> what's wrong with the leaves on celery stalks?

>I don't always have them.
>And I usually give them to my birds. ;-)
>That and Kale and Cilantro. Parrots need fresh greens.

No (indoor) birds here. Would love to have one, but my indoor climate
is too cold and drafty in winter.

>> >Dried Basil (I use only fresh out of the herb garden in season but
>> >this one freezes back in the winter)

>> it doesn't freeze back -- it dies. It's an annual. While fresh is
>> about 1000 times more flavorful than dried, it *is* useful in sauces
>> and whatnot

>Ok. So be picky. <G>

I was recently called an "obsessive fuss-budget" in another group by a
person who more often uses a Sheldon-like vocabulary (although not
nearly as bad). I acknowledged his accurate description. :-)

>At least you grow your own herbs like I do.
>Not many people do. Ahhhhh the joys of fresh basil!!! I can use it in
>place of lettuce in sandwiches I love it so much!

Yes, a true summer joy.

>> >Rosemary (this one lives thru the winter so I always have it fresh in
>> >the garden)

>> Lucky you. My large plant died a couple of years ago and I've been
>> trying to get another one established ever since. Lovely generous
>> plant.

>Maybe I can mail you one? Try ebay. Rosemary likes direct sun. My big
>one actually did die this year as it got shaded out, but it lived for
>about 5 years. I had started a new one in the main herb garden last
>year and it's doing well. The herbs are doing better on the West side
>of the house in nice sandy soil.

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to try and start again from cuttings.
Mine was about 15 yrs old with a 3" diameter main stem when it
developed some disease/condition and died in spite of vigorous and
worried pruning of the affected parts. I used to clip long stems and
put them in the linen cupboard. Messy, as they dried, but very
fragrant. My bush was also next to the west side of the (red brick)
house, in one of the few sunny spots I have. Didn't want to put in
another plant immediately, but the disease should be gone by now.

>> >Garlic Powder

>> OK

>> >Mixed peppercorns in a grinder

>> Just black ones for me. Do the other colors taste significantly
>> different?

>I think the mix has a richer flavor.
>

>> >Comino (Cumin)

>> You betcha! Ground and seeds.

>I just buy the powder. <G> I'll look for the seeds and try them,
>thanks!

Used a lot in Indian cooking. I've come to add them to some veg
dishes. I like seeds.

>> >Chili powder

>> prefer ground chile, so I can mix my own combo.

>Not a bad idea. There are so many different varieties. :-)

I got a big pkg of cheap Korean ground chile (hot!) and made my own
no-salt powder (garlic, oregano, cumin, etc.) with a lot left over for
custom mix. My Chimayo ground chile (a gift) I parcel out in pinches.
Or rather use very stingily.

>> >Oregano (which I don't use very often)

>> Useful, and dried lasts a long time. Also have fresh

>I had to thin my Oregano patch this year! That stuff takes over. Have
>been experiementing with fresh Dittany too. It's a variety of Oregano.

My original oregano spread and spread for years, and suddenly died
out. Plants are funny. New plant (last year) is doing well in a pot.
Will transplant next year.

>> >Thyme (same as above)

>> Dried is quite flavorful, although fresh is nicer.

><grins> That's another herb in the garden that has over-grown! ;-)
>I adore it fresh.

I've found both sage and thyme tend to get woodier and less productive
of leaves after a few years. I fry to start new plants from time to
time. I don't *use* much sage, but I love the plant and the fragrance
when I rub a leaf.

>I've got to start experimenting with seeds, thanks!

I haven't made any in some time, but pound cake with poppy seed is
*so* genteel. I use sesame seeds a lot as garnish for salad or stir
fry (particularly if I don't have any fresh basil to chiffonade). I
also add some to the pan when I'm making a grilled cheese sandwich. At
least a *few* seeds stick to the bread.