Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,misc.rural,alt.food.vegan,alt.food,alt.cooking-chat
Dutch Dutch is offline

Default What to consider?

<dh@.> wrote
> "Dutch" > wrote:

[..]

>>> By consuming products which they feel contribute to lives of positive
>>> value for farm animals.

>>What if they feel that no animal products do that to their satisfaction?

> Then they can't deliberately contribute to anything good for farm
> animals,
> even though other people can.

That's not true, many vegetarians deliberately contribute time and money
towards promoting good for farm animals.

>>Wouldn't it then be more ethical of them to be vegans? Would they not be
>>more consistent with their ideals than say people who claim to care about
>>animals, then consume animal products with little regard for the value of
>>the animals' lives?

> I'll say that I don't think any less of people who just admit that they
> don't care,

That's not what I asked. I said people who "claim to care about animals", as
many people do, yet simply consume animal products with no regard for the
animals. That seems hypocritical.

> than I do of people who want to claim some credit for supporting
> the rights of animals they would prevent from ever existing.

Where's the harm in preventing livestock from ever existing?