Frogleg

Default Stocking the spice cabinet..

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 15:35:05 GMT, "Felice Friese" >
wrote:

>Hands up, everyone: How many of us, in normal conversation, differentiate
>between herbs and spices?

I did a little research on this some time ago, and while, in general,
leaves of annual, non-woody plants (and the plants themselves) are
"herbs," and seeds, bulbs, tubers, and bark (cinnamon) are "spices,"
I've also seen a definition that said herbs are temperate-climate
plant flavorings and spices are tropical. Using the first method, dill
*leaves* are an herb, while dill *seed* is a spice. By the second,
both are herbs.

Obviously, exceptions to both can be found. It really doesn't matter.

In normal conversation, I believe "spice rack" or "spice cabinet"
contents refer to plant-generated food flavorings.