-L.

Default Crockpot buying advice?

(Richard's ~JA~) wrote in message >...
> I would appreciate advice on buying a crockpot. Long ago I gave away my
> only once used crockpot simply, because I could not tolerate my home
> smelling of slow cooking blood while trying the pot out for a beef roast
> and vegetables. At the time it had not occurred to me that I could have
> used the crockpot plugged into an outlet in the garage to avoid this
> tiresome smell. Now I do have a 6 qt. Nesco that I use for various
> slow-cooking things, but I am comtemplating buying myself a crockpot as
> well. Please, could those of you with often use of this cooking method
> recommend the best cooker for me to buy?
>
> Picky ~JA~

Any crock pot works fine. I have a couple - At least two Rival brand
large-capacity "cool touch" with removable crocks (essential, IMO),
and another one (I forget what brand). The key is to BROWN YOUR MEAT
FIRST - then throw it in with the other stuff - and don't add too much
water. Cook on high for an hour or so, then turn to low. I have
never had it stink like you described - most of the time it smells
delicious - but I do use a ton of garlic in most dishes.

They also work great for keeping dishes hot for buffets and for making
yogurt (if they adjustable temp gauges). I use mine for a lot of
things.

Good luck,
-L.