Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
[email protected] purduephotog@gmail.com is offline

Default Empty Wine bottle legal clarification

Evening All-

If this helps, awhile back I posted that you couldn't pick up empty
bottles from restaurants in NYS because it was illegal.

Well, 6 months later and several long calls to the TTB.gov, as well as
NYS's ACB has finally clarified the issue: There is no provision in
federal law pertaining to empty wine/beer bottles. Liquor bottles (as
defined as distilled spirits containers) yes- and unless the wine has
more than 24% alcohol (as defined by taxation rate) it's not a
distilled spirits container.

I must admit, getting a lawyer or the government to put fact into
writing has been difficult. Definitely an eye-opener experience.

If anyone is interested I can post the full synopsis of the law(s) in
question, both Federal and NYS. Obviously your state law may vary.

Jason