Posted to rec.food.baking
Jke Jke is offline

Default New member needs help with rolls

"Bernie" > schreef in bericht
ups.com...
>I just became a member of this group today. I need HELP!!! I tried
> making yeast rolls for the first time. I used a recipe from
> foodnetwork.com. It took five hours and the rolls were thick and
> doughy (although my kids still thought they tasted O.K.). I want to be
> able to make light fluffy rolls without taking all day. Any hints,
> recipes or suggestions would be appreciated. The recipe I used had a
> one and one-half hour initial rising time, then punch down, and
> refridgerate for two hours, shape and let rise again for one and
> one-half hours. HELP!

Most *yeast* breads/ rolls/etc take that long. 2 rises, with the punching
down after the first rise (some recipe require only the first rise, pizza
dough for instance).

So when you use yeast, there is little to be changed about that. It's what
the eyast needs to do i's rising job, and it'helps create the right
texture/consistency after the bread's been baked.

Quick breads do not require all that rising, but have a different textrue
because of that. Quick breads are made with baking poweder raher than yeast.
Google will give yuou many recipes. Irish soda bread is fast and easy to
make. You could also search for that.

If you didn't like this bread because it was difficult to make it part of
your plans for the day, then you might consider doing the second rise of
yeast dought overnight, but in the fridge. Then you can bake it the next
morning.