Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter Doug Kanter is offline

Default Vegetarian Camping/Cooking?

"Wharfrat" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>>> . com...

>>> No no no! Not only does he need to prove his cooking skills, but
>>> also his ability to stoke a fire WITHOUT any sort of stove. If it
>>> rains, he'll have a real test on his hands.

>> Absolutely. There's nothing like a real wood fire (and you go gather
>> the wood yourself! BTDT). Brew some coffee or tea, sweetened with
>> honey.
>>
>> She can't be adverse to vegetables so (to the OP) take along a cooler
>> of ice and diced veggies. Pack some in foil (heavy duty) and bake
>> them along side the hot coals. Or do baked potatoes in the coals.
>> Those are nice!
>>
>> If you have a dutch oven the possibilities for vegetarian stew are
>> endless.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> WOW! I'm getting so many responses so fast I can't even respond to them
> all!!!!
>
> Thanks Everyone!!!
>
> I'm not sure if the place we're staying at allows us to have a camp-
> fire. I realize that adds a whole new deminsion to what I can cook, but
> simply stated that I only have a tiny propane grill to simplify
> things...
>
> Thanks again for all the great advice!
>
> You guys rock! none of the other cooking sites I've posted this to have
> given me a single response yet. This is sooo cool! you guys have offered
> me some amazing ideas! Please keep them coming!

Actually, I just thought of something. If it's a popular public campground,
it doesn't matter whether campfires are allowed. Your fate may be determined
by wood supply. In busy campgrounds, the woods are pretty much picked over.
If, on your way to the place, you see little piles of wood in peoples'
yards, with signs saying "camping firewood $5.00", you'll know what you're
dealing with. Beware of that firewood. Sometimes, it's pine, sold for the
inexperienced. You'll smoke out the whole campsite. It will not be
enjoyable.