Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Vegetarian Camping/Cooking?

Kili wrote:

> veggie fajita. Yeah, I know it's not technically a fajita if you don't
> use a fajita cut of beef, but peppers and onions, grilled and wrapped
> in a tortilla would be good, IMO.

When I first moved to San Diego, I lived near a yuppie restaurant named the
Kiva Grill. Their veggie fajitas were OUTSTANDING. Besides the peppers and
onions, I remember zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes. (In this
particular case, it's BETTER if the tomatoes aren't completely ripe.)

(Of course, it helped that the tortillas were freshly made and luscious, a
Monterey Jack sauce was poured over the veggies when they were served, there
a couple very good salsas on the table, and the place served what might have
been the best margaritas in town.)

I've seen mushrooms added to veggie fajitas, but they strike me as being
out-of-place there. I'd stick with peppers, onions, scallions, the summer
squashes, and tomatoes. Maybe snow peas if I *needed* something more.

Bob