Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] is offline

Default Vegetarian Camping/Cooking?

In article >,
Wharfrat > wrote:

> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
> with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is our
> first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with my
> out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler full of
> Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would keep).
>
> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
> a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.
>
> Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5 days,
> so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to being cooked....
>
> I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it comes to
> the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....

Squash keep fairly well and grilled summer (or even winter) squash is
the GODS! Winter squash will keep outside of the cooler. :-) I'd
recommend butternut and/or acorn. Corn on the cob is also excellent
grilled. Endive works too, as do onions and of course, potatoes and yams.
Hit the produce section for more ideas. Lots of fresh veggies go well
grilled and there are some veggies that should keep well in a cooler or
at room temp.

You could probably make veggie patties out of a variety of mixed, grated
items with various herbs and spices.

> The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie burgers from
> scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in wine... They would grill
> easy...and would make a good meal.
>
> Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more intricate
> the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just don't have experience
> in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap your expertise.
>
> Thanks for any help you have to offer!

Don't try to get too fancy. I'd keep it fairly simple.
Not sure how well portabellos would keep in a cooler? IME mushrooms are
only good refrigerated for a very few days but if you do them the first
night or two, that would be delicious!

I like to marinate veggies (and some meats) for grilling in a simple
Italian style salad dressing, or a dijon mustard dressing.

Hope this helps?
--
Peace!
Om