Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Vegetarian Camping/Cooking?

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> Wharfrat wrote:
>>> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping
>>> trip with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian.
>>> This is our first real excursion together and I kind of want to
>>> impress her with my out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just
>>> want to bring a cooler full of Morningstar veggie burgers (I like
>>> them, but doubt they would keep).
>>>
>>> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would
>>> impress a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane
>>> grill.
>>>
>>> Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5
>>> days, so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to
>>> being cooked....
>>>
>>> I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it
>>> comes to the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....
>>>
>>> The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie
>>> burgers from scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in
>>> wine... They would grill easy...and would make a good meal.
>>>
>>> Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more
>>> intricate the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just
>>> don't have experience in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap
>>> your expertise.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help you have to offer!

>> my suggestion is to buy a camp stove, or give up vegetarianism.

> No no no! Not only does he need to prove his cooking skills, but
> also his ability to stoke a fire WITHOUT any sort of stove. If it
> rains, he'll have a real test on his hands.

Absolutely. There's nothing like a real wood fire (and you go gather the
wood yourself! BTDT). Brew some coffee or tea, sweetened with honey.

She can't be adverse to vegetables so (to the OP) take along a cooler of ice
and diced veggies. Pack some in foil (heavy duty) and bake them along side
the hot coals. Or do baked potatoes in the coals. Those are nice!

If you have a dutch oven the possibilities for vegetarian stew are endless.

Jill