Reg

Default boiling/poaching (?) fish

alzelt wrote:

> Reg wrote:

>> Right. But turning a dish into a 'sauce vehicle' is hardly a good thing.
>> I tend to agree with Louis here.
>>

> Guess you spend very little time in good French restaurants. Many people
> count sauce as an ingredient, NOT a condiment. There is a difference.
> And that is why poached fish is very common.

I do like sauces, and I do like them on fish sometimes. I also find that
misuse of sauce is a common way to cover up cooking mistakes. I'm not against
poaching fish, I just find it the least interesting way of cooking it,
and it makes serving it with a sauce a requirement.

> I am not denouncing other methods of preparation. I grill fish quite
> often, as I live in the Northwest. But, when I am interested in a
> specific flavor and consistency, a sauced, poached fish is great.

Penmart's pathetic remarks notwithstanding, there's no either/or issue
when it comes to poaching and high heat cooking. I frequently cook
fish at a temp of 180 - 190 F using dry heat, sometimes served with
sauce, sometimes not. It makes for excellent texture without the
flavor loss of poaching.