Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter Doug Kanter is offline

Default 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> ps.com...

>> > I hate to tell you this, but the "5 lb." bag of sugar has been 4 lbs.
>> > for quite a while. Same phenom can be observed in coffee weights.
>> >
>> > N.
>> >

>> No it hasn't, assuming you're talking about Domino. Your store has chosen
>> carry the 4 lb bag. Which store do you shop at?

> I'm not going to argue with you - why are you defending the sugar
> industry? Yes, the store I shop at (Hy-Vee) has C & H sugar in 4 lb.
> bags and have had it for a l-o-n-g time.
>
> N.

Nancy Nancy Nancy....this isn't an argument. I'm not defending the sugar
companies because there IS NOTHING TO DEFEND AGAINST. Most of the people in
this discussion want to believe that sugar companies have shrunk the 5 lb
bag to 4 lbs. This is not the case. Here's the link to the C&H web site.
They make multiple sizes:
http://www.chsugar.com/Consumer/white_granulated.html
Hy-Vee has chosen to carry the 4 lb bag, not the 5 lb. If you want to know
why, you can call them and I'm sure they'll give you a perfectly good
explantion.

Domino's also got a range of sizes:
http://www.dominosugar.com/products/granulated.asp

Nothing has been shrunken. Now, if you want to point a finger at a company
that really did shrink a package, follow this link to some old discussions
about Breyers ice cream. You'll have to reassemble the link in a text
editor.
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...00 6&safe=off

The major complaints involved two things:
1) Some supermarkets kept using signs that said "1/2 gallon". Clearly, that
was not Breyers fault.
2) Breyers didn't call customers one at a time on the phone and let them
know the package was shrinking.

The finger should be pointed at the supermarkets.