Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

Puester wrote:

> I checked today also. Lots of 5 lb. bags of sugar, a few 4, and many,
> many 10 lb bags. The 10 lb. looked smaller than they used to. Weird?

Small changes in packaging can make things look a lot different. People
with a decent education, a decent capacity to understand mathematics and
some practical experience realize that a little extra diameter can make up
for a lot of height.

I like simple glasses. Our tumblers are highball glass, round and with
straight sides, tall and thin. We also have some shorter wider glasses. A
few week ago I had to demonstrate to my wife that they held the same
amount. She was determined that the tall glass held more. I filled up a
tall skinny one and poured the contents into the short, fat one. Both
were full to the brim.