Posted to rec.food.cooking
George[_1_] George[_1_] is offline

Default 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

Nancy2 wrote:
> hob wrote:
>
>>I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
>>bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price PER
>>BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
>> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc. rather
>>than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
>>weight
>>
>> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
>>any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
>>displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
>>like sugar make that change?

> I hate to tell you this, but the "5 lb." bag of sugar has been 4 lbs.
> for quite a while. Same phenom can be observed in coffee weights.
>
> N.

Not at the stores where I commonly shop. I just bought a actual 5 lb
weight "5 lb" bag last week.

The coffee is another story. You may remember how they tried to spin
that "we grind it using a new process so you need to use less...". Then
how would they explain the 12.5 oz actual weight "1 lb" bag of unground
beans?