Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

Mark Thorson wrote:

> The sugar industry is a terrible racket, maintained
> by large donations to corrupt politicians. You may
> pay double what you did last year, but people outside
> the U.S. pay less than half for the same thing.

It was the sugar business that was responsible for such gross
mismanagement of the Cuban economy that it was ripe for rebellion.

I think American consumers get ripped on a lot of things. I used to do
a lot of cross border shopping and when our dollar was worth about 25%
less most fruits and vegetables were the same price. At the time, a
head of lettuce was 99 cents. I could buy it at home for 99 cents or
cross the border and pay 99 cents US... $130 Cdn. CDs, computer
programs, jeans ... all the same price figure in Canada as they are in
the US.