Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default REC Pork Loin Braised in Milk

Heather wrote:

> I had pork braised in milk twice. Once it was absolutely sublime, the
> other time it was too salty, both times from the same place. what is your
> recipe? I won't have the opportunity to eat it often, but i want to make
> it.

Pork Loin Braised in Milk
from _The Classic Italian Cookbook_ by Marcella Hazan

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds pork loin in one piece, with some fat on it, securely tied
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups milk

1. Heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat in a casserole large enough
to just contain the pork. When the butter foam subsides add the meat, fat
side facing down. Brown thoroughly on all sides, lowering the heat if the
butter starts to turn dark brown.

2. Add the salt, pepper and milk. (Add the milk slowly, otherwise it may
boil over.) Shortly after the milk comes to a boil, turn the heat down to
medium, cover, but not tightly, with the lid partly askew, and cook slowly
for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the meat is easily pierced by a fork.
Turn and baste the meat from time to time, and, if necessary, add a little
milk. By the time the meat is cooked the milk should have coagulated into
small nut-brown clusters. If it is still pale in color, uncover the pot,
raise the heat to high, and cook briskly until it darkens.

3. Remove the meat to a cutting board and allow to cool off slightly for a
few minutes. Remove the trussing string, carve into slices 3/8 inch thick,
and arrange them on a warm platter. Draw off most of the fat from the pot
with a spoon and discard, being careful not to discard any of the coagulated
milk clusters. Taste and correct for salt. (There may be as much as 1 to 1
1/2 cups of fat to be removed.) Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of warm water, turn
the heat to high, and boil away the water while scraping and loosening all
the cooking residue in the pot. Spoon the sauce over the sliced pork and
serve immediately.

With just one teaspoon of salt for two pounds of meat, I can't see any way
it could turn out too salty if the recipe was followed. I'm guessing that
the cook botched it the second time you had it.

Now if you can just get your boyfriend to think you're cooking seitan...

Bob