Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester Puester is offline

Default For Ranger (Recipe) Top 10 Home-Cooked Meals

(posted and emailed)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Is this like a Poor Woman's Paella? (I've never made paella and am not
> sure I've ever eaten it, either.)

Yeah, no saffron.

Quite a few Portuguese "folk" dishes call for "saffrua" which is
actually powdered safflower, not saffron.

It's interesting that Portugal is such a tiny country but has so many
political/cultural/culinary divisions from one area to the next, divided
by rivers and mountain ranges.

In eastern cities which are heavy with Portuguese ancestry, it was
impossible to get elected to public office in years past because
candidates were judged by their area of origin and "you can't trust a
man whose people came from xxxtown because they're all liars, blowhards,
cheats, etc." Yeah, very provincial.

I have a yummy recipe for dried salt cod which I'll post if I can find
it. I made it about once a year when we lived on the east coast and cod
in those funky little wooden boxes was 99cents a pound instead of $9.99.

Now aren't you sorry you asked?

gloria p