Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen AKA Kajikit Karen AKA Kajikit is offline

Default Top 10 Home-Cooked Meals

On 23 Apr 2006 21:44:12 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
>And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
>a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
>are YOUR top ten favorite meals?
>
>1. Roast Chicken (so versatile!)
>2. Barbecued Pork Ribs with the typical barbecue fixin's
>3. Seared Scallops with Habaņero-Mango Salsa
>4. Pastitsio[*]
>5. Beef Sukiyaki[*]
>6. Singapore Chili Crab
>7. Pho
>8. Pork Braised in Milk[*]
>9. Ma-La (Spicy & Numbing) Beef with Vegetables and Noodles
>10. Vindaloo
>
>[*] Will change when summer hits

Thinking about this question has made me realise just how limited my
repertoire has become since I got married. My husband doesn't know the
first thing about cooking and he doesn't much like vegetables and he
HATES curries or exotic spices... I've turned into a very boring cook
trying to make things that he likes

If you asked DH his favourite meals would be something like:
1. pepperoni pizza (bought not homemade)
2. nachos
3. Plain burger with raw onion and cheese, grilled rare (either bought
or homemade) and a loaded baked potato
4. spicy chilli
5. BBQ pork
6. grilled chicken with green beans or broccoli with italian dressing
7. cheese enchilada (he orders this EVERY SINGLE TIME we go for
Mexican)
8. roast chicken and homemade potato wedges
9. Homemade fried rice
10. grilled pork chop with rice

My favourites include:
1.lasagna
2.homemade pizza with lots of vegetables and not a lot of cheese
3.macaroni cheese with bacon or ham and vegetables cooked into it
4.roast chicken and roast veggies
5.very mild chilli, preferably with vegetables
6.chicken pasta (either a carbonara made with chicken and sweetcorn,
or chicken cacciatore)
7. slow-cooked BBQ pork and rice
8.meatloaf or rissoles with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables
9.aromatic green chicken curry with coconut milk
10.baked fish in white wine

As you can probably tell, he likes food plainer than me and he thinks
a 'vegetable' is another word for a plate decoration...

As a compromise we eat a lot of chicken and a lot of baked potatoes,
with a frozen vegetable to accompany them, usually tossed in italian
dressing. I dish the plates a bit differently to try and make us both
happy. He has 35% meat, 35% starch, 30% veggies... and I have 50%
veggies, 25% starch, 25% meat.

Dishes I actually make would be:

nachos
chilli
burgers (he has a bun and little salad, and I usually have more salad
and a slice of bread)
roast chicken or roast meatloaf and potato wedges
grilled chicken
slow-cooked bbq pork
homemade fried rice with lots of 'stuff' in it.
chicken cacciatore
grilled chicken and veggies
grilled pork chops and veggies