Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,alt.fan.miss-manners,ny.general,misc.consumers
NYC XYZ NYC XYZ is offline

Default Fee for Sharing???

SMS wrote:

> I guess you don't get out much,

I guess you missed the part where I noted that I dine rather widely.

> as sharing fees have been on the menu
> for decades.

Oh, man, it's worse than I thought!

> Often the wait staff doesn't enforce the sharing fee,
> especially if the total order per person is sufficiently high. Other
> restaurants implement a minimum order amount per person, which I think
> is a fairer way of ensuring that seats are not used by people that
> aren't ordering enough to cover the fixed costs.

What the hell, just have a damn cover charge or something, then! I
mean, honestly, if it's about minimum orders and all, let's come out
with it. It's damned ridiculous to have to note the fine print when
you're in a restaurant trying to relax with good food and company.

> The Spanish restaurant we go to on occasion, requires two orders to make
> a paella, they won't do it for one person.

There you go, a paella is a communal dish! What the hell are they
expecting, anyway? If it weren't for not wanting to make a scene in
front of the date (who was a bit incredulous herself), I would have
insisted he bagged us a salad to go for the stupid $6 fee! Why, had I
known this restauranteur was on the verge of starvation because of
plate-sharing diners, I would have had ready in hand for him a referral
card for the local soup kitchen!

Don't you just love these penny-pinching businessmen who claim costs
and poverty while exploiting illegals in the kitchen....