Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter A Peter A is offline

Default Best Beef cut for Burger

In article .com>,
says...
> > I agree - chuck is best. It is silly to buy expensive cuts for
> > hamburger. They are expensive because they are tender, and that is not
> > relevant when the meat is ground.

> That is absolutely not true.

It absolutely is true. Sheesh, it is so obvious.

> Different parts of the cow taste different.

Quite true, but is has long been known that tenderness is inversely
related to flavor. The most flavorful parts of the steers, the cheeks
and the tail, and very tough, while the fillet is rather bland.

> In a Porterhouse you get two distinctly different flavors,
> tenderloin and strip.

And...?

> If I could afford it, I'd use striploin for ground beef. As it is, I'd
> recommend round.

Round is certainly an excellent choice, second only to chuck IMHO.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at