Posted to alt.food.vegan
Plandor Plandor is offline

Default Subway Veggie Burger Nutrition Information.

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> Plandor wrote:

>>> http://buddhism.about.com/cs/ethics/a/Food_2.htm
>>> http://hinduwebsite.com/buddhism/vegetarianism.htm
>>> Etc.

>> ============================
>>
>> Perhaps

> No, definitely.
>
>> ...Yes, other Buddhist
>> scriptures (from an earlier period) do allow meat-eating as discussed in
>> the websites you provided links to above, but the Buddha changed those
>> rules

> No, and I find it amusing that someone who probably has a problem with the
> historicity of certain other religious scriptures (e.g., do you vouch for
> the historicity of and take everything in the Bible literally?) would take
> a document written in the 2nd or 3rd century and claim it's (a)
> historically accurate, (b) properly quotes the Buddha, and (c) properly
> hands down the Buddha's teachings on any and all matters. Moreover and
> just
> like the Bible, said document has undergone various textual revisions over
> time and as it spread geographically. So why do you propose a literal
> interpretation of what is commanded or forbidden when elsewhere the Buddha
> is said to have expressly FORBIDDEN VEGETARIANISM in Sangha when Devadatta
> asked him to institute it? You're offering an example of a kind of
> "fundamentalist Buddhism" -- oxymoronic -- which is bound to happen when
> self-serving Westerners embrace that which they don't understand because
> they think it teaches something that it doesn't!

So then are you still standing by your earlier statements - "No religious
scripture commands or commends abstinence of anything" and "...there are no
prohibitions against meat consumption in Buddhism"? Do you still claim them
to be true? If so, then don't you consider the Mahaparinirvana Sutra to be
a Buddhist scripture?

-Plandor
reference:
http://www.nirvanasutra.org.uk/mpnsvegetarianism.htm