Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect usual suspect is offline

Default Subway Veggie Burger Nutrition Information.

Talbot wrote:

> Steve pretended :
>> I had to email away for it this morning, so I thought I would share the
>> results. The excerpt from their reply starts below the "====" line:
>>

>> As of 2006 March 10th:
>> ================================================== ===
>> information for
>> the Gardenburger and VegiMax are as follows:
>>
>> Gardenburger:
>>
>> Mushrooms, brown rice, onions, rolled oats, part-skim mozzarella,
>> cottage
>> cheese curd, egg white, cheddar cheese, bulgar wheat, natural
>> seasonings and
>> spices, autolyzed yeast, sea salt, olive oil, tapioca starch, and
>> vegetable
>> gum.
>>
>> Calories 390
>> Protein (g) 19
>> Carbohydrates (g) 66
>> Sugar 6
>> Fat (g) 7
>> Sat. Fat (g) 2.5
>> Cholesterol (mg) 5
>> Sodium (mg) 960
>> Dietary Fiber (g) 9
>>
>> VegiMax is as follows:
>>
>> The ingredients: Vegetables (mushroom, water chestnuts, onions,
>> carrots,
>> green and red bell peppers, black olives), textured vegetable protein
>> (soy
>> protein consentrate, wheat gluten), egg whites, cooked brown rice,
>> rolled
>> oats, corn oil, calcium caseinate, soy sauce (water, soybeans, saly=t,
>> wheat) Contains 2% or less of the following: onion powder, cornstarch,
>> salt,
>> hydrolyzed corn, soy and wheat protein, sucrose, soy protein isolate,
>> spices, garlic powder, dextrose, jalapeno pepper powder, celery
>> extract.
>>
>> Calories 390
>> Protein (g) 24
>> Carbohydrates (g) 56
>> Sugar 7
>> Fat (g) 8
>> Sat. Fat (g) 1.5
>> Cholesterol (mg) 10
>> Sodium (mg) 1030
>> Dietary Fiber (g) 7
>>
>> The above values include wheat or white bread, a 3.0 oz patty, and all
>> the
>> standard vegetables. Cheese or other condiments are not included.
>>
>> The above information is for a 6 inch sub which is a local product.
>> However,
>> the nutrient value may vary depending on the store's manufacturer.
>> Further
>> nutritional information on our national products can be fo

> Look at the salt content. It seems very high in both
> products. I may be wrong, but does that not convert
> to equivalent of 2.5 grams of Sodium Chloride?

Distinguish between SALT content and SODIUM content. Your question about
equivalence is apropos, but read the ingredients again and note ingredients
associated with high amounts of sodium (and/or salt). Most vegetables
contain sodium. Production processes can add sodium as well, such as in
making soy sauce or in canning things like black olives and water
chestnuts.