Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,alt.fan.miss-manners,ny.general
JoAnne Schmitz JoAnne Schmitz is offline

Default Fee for Sharing???

On 18 Apr 2006 16:37:39 -0700, "NYC XYZ" > wrote:

>I don't see how you can really rush your diners through their meals.
>But again, raising prices by a mere nickel all-around isn't going to
>discourage anyone if your cooking's any good, and it saves you from
>being a petty cheapskate about something as simple as sharing dishes.

In order to get the six dollars for plate-sharing out of a price increase,
you'd have to sell 120 items per plate-sharing. [1] If you think that
this only happens once in 120 item-sales, go ahead.

Oh, wait, I forgot. It's not your restaurant.

So, if this is still an etiquette question, the answer lies in the concept,
"don't give unsolicited advice." That means you can tell the restaurant
owner you don't like the plate-sharing charge, because you are a customer.
But you can't tell him it's stupid or that it will ruin his business.

-JoAnne

[1] This assumes that not charging for the plate-sharing won't encourage
more people to do it.