Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG[_2_] TG[_2_] is offline

Default No Knead Dough Still Gloopy

Todd K. wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies. Based on what I've read, my sponge may be
> overdone after 14 hours at 86% hydration. I am going to try cutting
> the water in half in the sponge (58% hydration) and go from there.
>
> Todd K.

HI Todd,

Before doing that why not try feeding more? I did a few bakes using 65%
starter throughout the building of the starter and then a few bakes
with 100 % for one or a two stages. I found that I got a better flavour
by adding the 100% stage and because of the way that I'm feeding it
makes sense to have that as the last stage. I suppose you might get
away with calling that a sponge, I don't know but at 20-25% of the
total dough I think that's stretching it.

Just my two penneth.

Hutch, sorry mate, I'm not ignoring you, but I don't know what to say
really other than what I've said. This is what I've found the biggest
improvements with since I started baking with a starter in years. I'm
not saying you're wrong. It's just general advice to someone I don't
know.

Cheers

TG