Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG[_2_] TG[_2_] is offline

Default No Knead Dough Still Gloopy

Todd K. wrote:
> In an effort to have a firmer dough at bake time, I tried the "no
> knead" technique. I still ended up with gloopy dough that would not
> hold its shape after forming into boules. .....> Thanks,
>
> Todd K.

HI Todd,

I had exactly that problem when I switched to continuous propagation of
my starter. I thought I was doing exactly what I'd been doing for
years, but I quickly realised after a few bakes that my starter was
slowly starving to death. So I did some reading and some experiments
and based on what I'd read from Samartha and Dicky I started feeding my
starter in the same way that they suggested feeding the final dough. I
give the new dough a 20-25% inoculation of starter every twelve hours.
So you really only knead a teaspoon or two of starter to end up with
two or three large loaves in 36 hours. It makes the best bread I've
ever made. I don't use a sponge anymore. Maybe Samartha's DM3 method
gives better flavour I don't know, it sounds a bit too involved for me
or what Dicky does is better I don't know. I have to say I just skim
over when I see floz (Sorry Dicky). Anyway. The short of it. Feed your
starter more, a lot more.

I don't think it's anything to do with your kneading.

TG