Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,alt.fan.miss-manners,ny.general
ZedBanty ZedBanty is offline

Default Fee for Sharing???

In article . com>, NYC XYZ
says...

>Ericka Kammerer wrote:
>>

>> Restaurants succeed or fail based on how full they
>> can keep the restaurant, how quickly they can turn the tables,
>> and how high they can keep the average expenditure per table.
>> Each of these things can't be maxed out without degrading
>> the diner's experience.

>Okay, some background, then: pop used to own Hunan Kitchen over on
>B'way between W75th & 76th (it's now a bank or something). We even had
>lines out the door, especially after some show at the nearby Beacon
>Theatre. I've peeled shrimp and washed dishes and bussed tables and
>delivered take-out, etc., so I know a bit about the restaurant business
>-- monthly rent back in the late '80s was ~$35K!!!!
>
>But I still maintain that it doesn't add to any tangible cost to
>provide an extra plate or fork. And raising prices across the board by
>a mere nickel or dime, if cost is the real reason for being a
>cheapskate to one's dining patrons, would boost average income without
>alienating customers.

If you're looking at this in terms of "provide an extra plate or fork", you're
not looking at the basic economics of restauranteering. Either pop didn't share
the details, or that his kind of restaurant is naturally high-throughput (I went
to Columbia in the '80s; I may have even dined there!) only exposed you to one
operating point in the economic equation.

ZedBanty