limey

Default chicken manure

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message >
> I've got a small free-range egg/chicken farmer round the corner.
> If I can get him to give me some of his animal's muck, say from the stalls
> or whatever, can I use it on the garden? In the compost? Or am I wasting

my
> time? Does it have to be rotted like horse manure? What about diseases,
> are there likely to be any problems?
>
> I would like to know a bit more about the pros and cons before I approach
> the chap.
>
> Any ideas?
> --
> Tim C.

I can only cite our experience, Tim. We had a flock of a chickens for quite
a few years, bought ground corncobs for the chicken house floor and cleaned
it all out as necessary. We mainly used it in landscaping around the
house, rather than in the vegetable garden, but plants and bushes thrived on
the stuff. It also really improved the mica soil. For the vegetable
garden, I would compost it. Go for it.

Dora