Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gregory Morrow[_1_] Gregory Morrow[_1_] is offline

Default Menu Planning?

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:00:55 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
> <gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote:
>

> >Christine Dabney wrote:
> >

> >> Christine, who thinks apartment designers don't cook.

> >My apartment pantry, though small, is well - stocked (I'd even say
> >"stuffed")...I am in the habit of always having prepped vegetables

(common
> >stuff like onions, celery, carrots, etc.) in the fridge and some frozen

veg,
> >homemade stocks and soups, etc. in the freezer. I am also making my own
> >salad dressings. So I can throw together a decent and healthy meal

whether
> >it's for me or guests...usually all I'll have to buy is meat for the main
> >course...
> >
> >This all saves time and money...I don't "plan" menus per se but I have

all
> >the ingredients at hand...

> The thing is, this apartment doesn't have any, and I mean ANY pantry
> space. It barely has space to put dishes, glassware, and pots and
> pans. The freezer in this fridge has an ice maker that takes up half
> the space...

I hear ya. Luckily I have a full closet in my little galley kitchen and I
have okay cabinet space. But stuff is packed to the "nth", I really have
everything arranged very tightly. Toaster, blender, food processor, and
knife block fit perfectly on top of the fridge. Some things, though, I just
can't fit in. So the electric fry pan is in a bedroom closet (along with
cases of canning jars, my canning kettle, and canning equipment -- these I
should really dispense with as I don't can anymore) :-|

A friend borrowed my rice cooker, now I can fit my big crockpot in the
kitchen cabinet -- could not fit *both* at the same time. I told the
friend, "Hey, keep the rice cooker as long as you want!".

I've bought some wire hanging storage dealies for the kitchen pantry, I can
store a lot more...

My usable counter space measures about 2x3', and I have NO counter space at
all adjacent to the stove. I'm an expert at "jiggling" stuff whilst
cooking. If I have to do a lot of veg prep work I'll often actually do that
on the cocktail table in front of the teevee...more room.

I'd REALLY love to get a small chest freezer but I honestly think it'd have
to go in the bedroom...

> I did bring my cast iron shelving unit, so I am using that for pantry
> storage, but even then, it gets jammed with what I use: vinegars,
> oils, spices, and the other usual staples like sugar, flour, rice,
> etc. I barely have any room for any sort of canned goods.
>
> The onions, celery, garlic and carrots, I usually have.
>
> As soon as I get this kitchen all "unpacked", I will take a pic for
> you all.

Kre8tive kitchen storage tips and pix always welcome :-)

OH, and I forgot, the rotisserie is in the coat/entry closet ;-)

--
Best
Greg